Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Recipe Share

It's always good to share a good and tasty recipe with friends. I love successful baking so I will share this recipe with you. Its a delicious and healthy snack and I have enjoyed every single bite. Its a date and carrot loaf. Super healthy and so easy - could it get any better than that.

Enjoy!


Carrot and Date Loaf

PREP TIME:10 mins
COOKING TIME:40 mins
SERVINGS:10 slices
Nutritional Information:
Good source of fibre, vitamin A. Source of magnesium, folate, niacin, thiamin, iron. Per serve (when serves 10): 812 kJ (194 cals) 4g protein 5g fat 34g carbohydrate

Ingredients:
1 cup of dates, chopped
1 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup walnuts *
1-1/2 cups wholemeal self - raising flour (I got a good consistency with just over 1 cup)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Carrot and Date Loaf

Instructions:
Place dates, water, sugar and bicarbonate of soda in a saucepan, bring to the boil, simmer 5 minutes. Cool

Preheat oven to 180 C. Add carrot, walnuts and flour and spices stirring well. Spoon into a greased, paper-lined loaf tin and bake for 40 minutes. Turn out, cool thoroughly before slicing.



* I didn't have walnuts so just added some almonds and chia seeds which tasted great!


Recipe used from here


3 comments:

Katie J said...

Yum-O! I can't wait to try this, I'm going to do some baking on Friday!

Also, not sure if you have read this blog, but she is a hoot! I came across this recipe and thought of you after our snack convo. Enjoy xo

http://peasandthankyou.com/2011/08/16/everyday-eats-protein-trail-mix-cookies/

Annie said...

Ez are you a chia fan? I have it in my cereal but have never thought about baking with it!

Friendly Sparrow said...

Hey Annie, Yes our nutritionist friend KJ got me onto Chia, a very healthy additive. xx